Friday, April 30, 2010

Farewell Four

There's a happy hum of excitement in the Wilson house tonight. The kitchen smells of a freshly baked chocolate cake. Little (and big) fingers have sampled the peanut butter frosting. Special gifts are waiting in the trunk of the car to be wrapped as soon as our little girl goes to bed. When I tuck her into bed in just a few moments, I will forever kiss my four-year-old goodbye. It's a happy, but bittersweet day. I'm getting excited about having a five-year-old, but four has been an awful lot of fun. I hope I've documented the memories well and will give us all something to remember about this past year.

In spite of our excitement at tomorrow's birthday celebration, I can't help but reflect that somewhere across the globe, it's already May 1. And that mysterious woman, to whom I owe so much, this is a difficult day indeed. Because five years ago, she gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. A girl with special medical needs that she simply couldn't help. I can't help but think that she's wondering about this little girl, not even sure if she survived infancy. It must be a day filled with sadness and regret. I wish there were something I could do, something I could say to let her know that her little girl is well. She's happy. She's healthy. She's thriving. And she is reminded almost daily of her Mama in China. But there is absolutely nothing I can do. Nothing but pray. And somehow, that has to be enough, because I worship and trust a very big God who can do anything. Even comfort a heartbroken woman on the fifth anniversary of the most wonderful and heartbreaking day of her life.


No comments: