Friday, January 2, 2009

Welcome the New

I'm not one for New Year's Resolutions. Like most people, they usually don't last a week. But a new year presents the opportunity to start over and set some goals.
This year, I would like to spend more time in concentrated prayer - not just the quick "help me, God" prayers that get me through the day (not that those are bad.) I need to spend more time interceding for the salvation of family and friends.
This year, I would like to read through the Bible again, a little every day. I have started the One Year Chronological Bible. I love to read the Bible chronologically (the order in which events happened, rather than the order they are listed in the Bible - that is, the Psalms of David are listed with the events in David's life when they were written; likewise, the Epistles of Paul are listed historically with the events in Acts, etc.) I last read the Bible this way in 2004, and I'm excited to read it again. This year, I would like to find more ways to serve my husband. Life can become so overwhelming that we (I) often let little things slide (dishes, dusting, laundry). Dan is a saint and helps pick up the slack, but there are still things I could do to serve him better.
This year, I would like to spend more time memorizing Scripture with Dayna. I would like for her to learn some of the great hymns of the Christian faith. She has such a tender, sensitive heart to the things of God. As the mother God appointed for her, I need to be a good shepherd and steward of her heart.
This year, I would like to find more joy in the effort of housekeeping. If I can look at it as a way to bless my family and set an example for my daughter, I can find meaning and purpose in the mundane.

No comments: