Tuesday, January 20, 2009

History

Today a new man will be sworn in as our 44th President. The enormity of this event cannot help but impress me this morning. For the first time, a minority will take the oath to represent our country. How far America has come in her short history...how far we still need to go. But today's event is another step toward equality for EVERY American.

I cannot admit to being a fan of our new President, nor do I believe that our outgoing President is as horrible as so many Americans would like to think. Regardless, it's a position not to be taken lightly, and with it comes great responsibility. Barack Obama will step into the shoes only 42 other men have filled, but he will step into it with a background unlike those other 42 men. Although Barack Obama is not the man I would have picked for the job, nevertheless, Americans voted and today he will take the highest position in our land. I may not be a fan of Obama, but I am a fan of democracy, and today is democracy in action. I cannot help but be reminded of a passage in Romans (13:1) Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. So while Barack is not taking office today as a result of my vote, he is taking that position as a result of God's design. Honestly, I'd rather God be making those decisions instead of me.

Which leads me to the real purpose of my post...

Heavenly Father, I lift up Barack Obama to you today, and for whatever days remain of his time in office. Lord, he is taking on a huge responsibility; give him wisdom and courage to make the right, though not always popular, decisions. Give him a softened heart that will rely on you every day as he governs our country. Give him the humility to accept when he has made a wrong decision. Surround him with wise men and women who will give counsel that will prosper and not harm the people of our country. Protect his life from those who would want to cause him hurt. Protect his marriage and family from the stresses of his job that could tear them apart. Be with Michelle as she takes on the new role of First Lady. Keep her priorities with her family and make her the helpmate her husband needs. Guide their children as they enter their new home and new school, making new friends along the way. Protect their innocence as the weight of the world will surround them in the White House. Put your hand on this family, Lord. Thank you for your continued guidance and direction for our country, and I pray that in all we do, America will bless You. I ask these things in the name of Jesus, to whom You have given all authority. Amen.

*I found this site this morning. Haven't looked through it completely, but what I saw impressed me. Let me know what you think. http://www.presidentialprayerteam.org/site/PageServer?pagename=ppt_homepage

No comments: