Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Anxiety

I had a restless night last night. I can't explain why, but I just couldn't quiet my soul. I think I just had a plain old ordinary case of restlessness. Maybe there was a little discontentment thrown in as well. I'm ready to move away from this house and this city...I'm ready to add to our family through adoption...I love my job, but feel like I need a change of scenery... But the unknown aspect of all of these things scares me. What if we can't sell our house? How much money will we need to spend to fix it up first? What if we can't get jobs in the state where we want to move? Where will the money come for the next adoption? What happens if the child we feel led to adopt slips through our fingers? What if I get moved to a new school (AGAIN) and have to spend another 2 years to establish my procedures and method of teaching? What if? Where? How? I guess it's no wonder I had a hard time falling asleep.

And yet I know God is sovereign. For now, we are living exactly where He wants us to be. When His light turns green, He will provide the finances and the very child He intends to be part of our family. And when it's time, He will provide the resources and direction for us to move.

So today, I remind myself of these verses:

Psalm 139:23-24 Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

Proverbs 12:25 An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up.

Philippians 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

Matthew 7:7 Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

Psalm 94:19 When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul.

No comments: