Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The First Day...

Last winter, things were changing fast and my heart was scrambling to keep up. On a day I had to say more goodbyes than a person should ever have to say, this song came on the radio. I honestly couldn't tell you what any of the words to the song were except these: "This is the first day of the rest of your life...you're gonna be alright."



Well, today is another first day. I'm not going back to work today...many of my former colleagues will spend the day sitting in meetings, greeting friends they haven't seen all summer, putting up bulletin boards and planning out their year.

Me...I'll be going out to breakfast with a dear friend and celebrating God's goodness in my life. I honestly can't say that I miss going back to school today. There's some magic to the whole "back to school" routine...but my heart really just needs some time off this year.

I'm a little anxious about the finances, but I know God will provide. I found out yesterday that I probably won't be subbing in that district until October, which means no paychecks until November. The substitute orientation that was supposed to happen in August won't happen until late September (not for everyone...just for teachers on leave of absence.) And while part of me wants to feel cheated yet again, I'm trying to trust God's timing on this one.

So here we go. For the first time since 1979, on the first day of school, I won't be there.

No comments: