Tuesday, August 28, 2012

August Project #3 - The Menu Board

I love digital scrapbooking! I love cooking. And recently, I've rediscovered how much I enjoy having a plan so we're not scrambling at dinner time. I've found some ideas for menu boards I like, but nothing really jumped out at me. So...I made my own design.

I started with a scrap board from a local lumber store. I spray-painted it with Rustoleum's chalkboard paint. I also sacrificed 7 clothespins from my stash and spray-painted them red.

For the last 2 months, I've been tracking the meals we're eating and making a 3x5 card for each meal.

 Because I'm printing them on card stock, I'm not laminating them. The exception is my one blank card for "on the go" nights. I put a clear sheet of Contact paper over the top so we can write the name of a favorite location with a dry-erase marker. (No political commentary on our restaurant of choice this week, please.)

And every mom needs a night where Daddy can be the dinner hero and pick up a pizza or some Chinese take-out on the way home.
When Dan was growing up, he never knew what leftover night was. Because his brilliant mom always called it "International Family Buffet." Sounds fancy, doesn't it?

I'm liking this poppy scrapbook kit so much, I'm thinking about going with a red poppy theme when we finally get around to doing our kitchen.
 Years ago, Dan found me this sweet little piggy index card holder. It's been sitting empty waiting for just the right time. Well...sweet piggy...the time is now.
 Again, using my digital scrapbook program, I made recipe dividers and printed them on card stock. (Aren't those poppies fun?)
I'll keep adding cards to the box as we plan more meals. I'll also start penciling in the source for the recipe on the back, along with page number. We've also been keeping a binder of printouts of favorite recipes we find online.

Planning meals is getting to be a lot more fun!

No comments: