Sunday, March 28, 2010

It's a Cruel Joke

You see them. Secretly you may even admire them. You may even daydream about joining them. They're svelt, lean, and they look happy. They're runners.


They will trick you into believing that running is an enjoyable activity. They talk about the "thrill" you get while pounding the pavement and letting the wind run through their hair. They may even spend thousands of dollars on a treadmill to keep in their homes for those days when the weather outside doesn't cooperate enough for a road run.

Let me tell you...it's all a cruel joke!


I maintain that nobody actually enjoys running. Yes, they may enjoy the feeling of finishing a particularly long run; they may enjoy setting a personal record or achieving an accomplishment never before attempted. (I confess to experiencing these very things...especially my first 5K last summer.)

I've been running for a year now. I'm 5 weeks away from a half marathon. I just completed 7.4 miles (I'm alternating running and walking), and confess that I was walking (very slowly) the last 3/4 of a mile or so. I've been home 45 minutes, and I'm slowly starting to feel my feet again. My blisters have blisters, and my knees and ankles feel pretty wobbly.

Did I enjoy my run today? Absolutely not. Did I enjoy the 90 minutes or so of quiet, sunshine, and time alone with my favorite podcast? You bet. Do I feel excited that I'm now over halfway to my half marathon distance? Without a doubt. Am I proud of my pace this afternoon? You can count on it! But did I enjoy the actual process of running?

Let me get back to you...

No comments: