Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Reaping and Sowing, Part 2

While trick-or-treating on Halloween, we visited some friends we don't often see. As we started talking, my friend shared that her unmarried son and his girlfriend had a baby just a few weeks prior. My friend has apparently struggled all summer with a myriad of feelings, and I had the opportunity to share with her a little of my family's story.

My sister was a teenage mother. Her daughter has become an incredible Godly woman. My niece's wedding last summer was so special, as it was such a momentous event in the life of a young woman who was not initially "planned."

As the conversation with my friend progressed, she shared that shortly after the pregnancy was discovered, her son and his girlfriend were on the way to an agency that counsels and provides abortions for unplanned pregnancies. In the car, my friend's son "felt wrong" about where they were going and remembered "a place somewhere on O Street" that also offered counseling. My friend had taken her daughter there 8 years ago on a tour. Her son was not part of that outing, but 8 years later, remembered that there was an alternative. He and his girlfriend went to the Crisis Pregnancy Center in Lincoln, where they received Biblical counseling and decided to continue the pregnancy.

My friend was sharing this story with me, because apparently, I was the volunteer who gave that tour 8 years ago. Honestly, I don't remember the day at all. I simply showed up for work and did my job.

I shared this story with my sister yesterday. She responded that sometimes we're so busy trying to harvest that we forget to take the time to plant. I'm so glad God was able to use an "insignificant" act (in my mind, anyway) so long ago to play a part in the healthy arrival of a precious baby boy.

1 comment:

Mom to 5...Daughter of the King said...

God has such a wonderful way of using us that gives HIM the glory!