Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Perfect Thanksgiving

The turkey (breast) is in the oven, the dough has been punched and is waiting to be shaped into fancy little rolls, and I finally have a few moments to sit and reflect.

We're having an unconventional Thanksgiving this year. After 10 years of marriage, we're spending the day alone. We didn't travel, we aren't visiting family, we're just enjoying some moments of simplicity and creating some memories that might possibly even become traditions. This may not be the way things will always be, but for today, we are truly thankful for the opportunity to create our "perfect" day.

I haven't made lists of things to cook, when to start what, or what needs to be done. I did my grocery shopping on Tuesday night in a grand total of 8 minutes. I have experienced no stress over the meal (although I did wonder for awhile if the dough would rise in the bread machine.) I'm making things that some might think are a little out of the ordinary, and I'm not making some things that some would consider to be staples of Thanksgiving (really...why make stuffing if I can't stand the stuff!?!)

This morning, everyone slept late. Dayna and I had some quiet Bible study time before Dan woke up. We set the timer for 45 minutes and picked up stuff around the house. Then, we bundled up and went on a little family "Turkey Trot." Dayna "ran" for the first 15 minutes, and we spent the next 20 briskly walking home. We excercised as a family and truly enjoyed the morning.

Dan's favorite NFL team is televised (doesn't happen often anymore with the Lions) and they've actually scored a touchdown. (Probably won't win, but a touchdown is a good start.) Now he's spending halftime putting up the Christmas lights. Dayna is on her bed for "quiet time" making a list of things for which she's thankful. When she gets up, we'll write our blessings on pretty leaves to put in a book. I've put out a jigsaw puzzle, and we're ready to start watching Christmas movies.

Dayna was thrilled this morning with the Macy's parade, and would squeal with glee every few minutes to let us know what the next balloon or float would be. And when she saw Santa....her entire world was filled with wonder and delight.

So, as I get up to shape the rolls, I'm feeling truly blessed and happy for all God has given me. Especially a chance to have an "unconventional" Thanksgiving.

Blessings to you all!

No comments: