Sunday, December 28, 2008

A Few Good Men

It's been a rough week for the Wood family. My Uncle Jim ended his short, hard fight with leukemia early Wednesday morning.

He left this world three days before his birthday, just in time to celebrate his greatest Christmas yet with Jesus Himself.

I can't say I knew Uncle Jim well. We visited his family in Southern California several times as a child. The last time I saw him was the summer I was sixteen years old. But throughout my life, Uncle Jim has always taken the time to choose just the right card for me, whether for my birthday or Christmas. I don't know that I ever thanked him for the thought that went into these cards, but even now, I can see him standing in the card shop looking for just the right sentiment to send my way.

Uncle Jim spent his first career in the Marine Corps. He followed in the steps of his older brother, my dad. I can't say that I have ever met two more devoted men to their Corps and their country. I don't know a lot about Uncle Jim's career, but I do know he was stationed in Japan for quite some time, away from his family. I also vividly remember the day I heard that his unit was called up to deploy for the first war in Iraq. Uncle Jim never questioned his orders, he simply served.

He spent his last days with his family by his side...his wife of ten years, two grown daughters, a son-in-law, and his brother. My dad sat by his side every night his last ten days, often without sleeping during the day. He was at his brother's bed when Uncle Jim breathed his last. My dad almost missed Christmas, but he was there for his brother to the end...his brother in flesh, and his brother in the Corps.

Two men who gave us the freedom to be Americans...the freedom to trash the very men, women and governing authorities who fight for us. One man who was faithful to the end, and another who continues...

Semper Fi, Uncle Jim.

http://www.miller-jones.com/obituaries/404


No comments: