Sunday, January 6, 2013

Half Full

Following up on my 50% entry...I spent several discouraging hours the day after my appointment with the orthopedic surgeon trying to find a physical therapist. Here in town, she only works 8-4. That means I would have to turn down work 3x/week for a 30-45 minute appointment. I started looking into Omaha, but only reached voice mails and "you've got the wrong location." With one last-ditch effort, I contacted a PT office in the town 8 miles east of us. He was able to get me in immediately and work around a substitute teacher's schedule.



I went to my first appointment to have him take mobility measurements. It seems my range of motion was extremely limited in every direction (which I knew...haven't been able to move my foot for 2 months, only wiggle my toes) and wasn't even static in one direction. So...he did a little bit of ultrasound and gave me some new exercises/stretches and showed me a new way to wrap my ankle. Not once did the PT mention a need for surgery, and in fact, told me multiple times that "we've got plenty of time to get this better before you go to China."



I woke up yesterday, and for the first time in 2 months, I COULD MOVE MY FOOT!!! (Yes, I know I'm yelling, but this is really, really, really, really exciting for me!) Yes...I can do ankle circles (small ones, but getting bigger), go up and down stairs, and even write the alphabet with my big toe (the exercise I've been trying, to no avail.)



Can't wait to see what my measurements are tomorrow. It seems I've taken so many steps backward with this injury, that this is a major leap forward.

Thanks for your prayers!

4 comments:

Kris Perry said...

Thank you God!!! Keep up the good work! I too worked with Matt to prevent a surgery several years ago and it is amazing what God can do to heal our bodies with the right excersizes. :) Stop by for tea if you have time.
Praying for you
Kris

alainaw30 said...

Kris...you never know...I just may have to take you up on that offer :)

Grammie M. said...

So glad to see that you are seeing some progress after the past two months of struggling. So glad that the PT and exercises are helping. Keep on keeping on and the Lord will see you through. Blessings friend.

Unknown said...

This is so great, Alaina! I hope that progress continues and you're able to skip along the Great Wall :)