Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Lessons I'm Learning - Part Three (Detour)

I guess this lesson is a no-brainer. We make plans. God laughs. My goal was to teach at a school for 7 years so I could see kids from Kindergarten through 6th grade. I was heartbroken years ago when I was unexpectedly moved after the last day of school in a building where I had taught for 6 years. I just missed seeing my first group of Kindergarten students through.

This year, I was so excited to be spending my seventh year in a building. Little did I know in August that I'd only make it to 6 1/2.

None of this makes sense. And I will drive myself crazy trying to figure it out. What I do know is that this is not a surprise to God. For whatever reason, I needed to either a) leave the last situation; b) make an impact on someone in my new location; c) let God change me; or d) all of the above.

I don't know why my life has suddenly taken this crazy turn. The detour is making me carsick. But...I can't look back. God decisively closed the door on that chapter of my life. I take with me mostly good memories...and the bad ones...I'm slowly finding that I can let them go.

And so I look ahead and keep my eyes on the road before me. It's still steep and full of rocks and obstacles, but I'm slowly finding my pace again and learning to celebrate small victories.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

life really can be interesting and full of surprises. i continue to learn that and even today (just posted about it on my blog), i am amazed at how the Lord can answer prayers and let us think things are going our way. yes, He laughs at us but he also loves us, deeply and all He asks of us is for us to trust Him. i know you do. maybe by the end of this year, you & i will be able to understand where God is taking us, on our crazy, wild adventures!

hang on tight and be blessed by His good works. :)