Sunday, February 6, 2011

Superman

A friend of mine has started a 14 day challenge on one of my newsgroups. Each day, we are to express love for or about someone in a specific way and share with the group. This has been a lot of fun and has breathed some fresh life into our group. So today, we were challenged to write about our "Super" husbands. Here's what I had to say:

Right now, Dan is upstairs listening to Dayna read her take-home book before she goes back to school in the morning. Earlier this afternoon, I'm pretty sure there was some light-saber action going on in my kitchen (a little to close to the China hutch for my tastes...). Yesterday, he took his little girl out to breakfast and all over Omaha so she could find a certain Zhu Zhu Pet to buy with her Chinese lucky money.

On a typical weekday, he wakes up and logs into work by about 5am. He takes Dayna to school then goes to the office. He clocks out, drives the 30+ miles home again to pick her up from school. He gets her a snack, gets her started on her chore for the day, and logs in to work for another hour or two. As a teacher, I just don't have the flexibility in my job to be available to take Dayna to or pick her up from school. He has gladly stepped in and worked his own schedule to be there for her. Often times, I'll come home and there will be two loads of laundry that have been washed, dried, and folded (and NONE of my clothes have been ruined!)

Dan has been extremely supportive of my teaching and continuing education...often using his own vacation time to take the family to other places in the country so I can attend a conference (which was how I FINALLY met the fabulous Burch girls last March and got to hang with the amazing Pierce family as well; we've also connected with the Theobalds on the way home from one of my conferences.)

And when I'm having one of my famous meltdowns (which have been happening more frequently lately...) he's hanging right in there with me. He prays over me each morning before I go to work in the morning, and emails me each day just to check in and see how my day is going.

Dan has always encouraged my participation in Bible Study Fellowship, spending Saturday mornings and Monday nights with Dayna so I can attend class and leaders' meetings. Last month, we were able to enroll Dayna in the school proram, and Dan is now attending a men's class on Monday nights as well. It's so exciting to sit around the dinner table and discuss our lessons every night.

And have I mentioned that my husband is incredibly funny, a strong, silent listener, and my best friend in the whole world? He also has the most amazing blue eyes...

I wish I could find a way to truly express how I feel about him...



No comments: