Monday, February 28, 2011

Blessed Be the Name of the Lord

I sat in church yesterday in front of a woman I know only by acquaintance. Years ago, I had her two boys (now grown men) in children's choir. I never really got to know her personally, though.

Right before Christmas, she woke up to find that her husband of 26 years had unexpectedly died in his sleep. I have watched this woman from a distance the last few months as she faithfully comes to church, even in her grief, and is clinging to her Father for all she's worth.

Yesterday, as I sat in front of her, I heard her strong voice as she nearly belted these words:

Blessed Be Your Name
In the land that is plentiful
Where Your streams of abundance flow
Blessed be Your name

Blessed Be Your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed Be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

Blessed be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's 'all as it should be'
Blessed be Your name

Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, blessed be Your name
I was blessed by this woman yesterday as I heard her sing praises to the One who gives and takes away.

2 comments:

Joy said...

What a blessing this sweet woman is! Praying for her tender heart to be healed!!!

Garey and Janiece said...

My prayer is that when (not if) adversity comes, my faith will shine. From the sounds of it, this woman's faith shines through the dark times because she knows the God Who loves her and filters all that comes into her life. That is such a powerful "go to" song to have in our hearts, isn't it?