Saturday, May 29, 2010

Home Is Where Your Story Begins

You know, I've seen this "inspirational" plaque over the past few years, and the more I think about it, the more it bothers me. It's just not true on so many levels.

You know, my story began in Oregon. I lived there for 22 years before coming to Nebraska. Part of Oregon will always be in my heart, but it's not really home anymore.

My story also began with my parents, but when I married Dan, "home" became with him, and no longer with my mom and dad.

Dayna's story began with a man and woman we'll probably never meet. She has a history we'll never know, but that history is intricately woven into the very fibers of her identity. And yet, that history happened before she found a home with us.

The story of humanity began long before the creation of this world. Our stories began before we even had life.

Since "home" is such a fluid thing on so many levels, I'd rather believe that "Home is where God places you."

1 comment:

Garey and Janiece said...

This brings to mind the statement "Home is Where the Heart Is" ... it was so good to read this entry and know that your heart is at home wherever God places you ... I know how hard it's been to let go of Oregon and being closer to family. Hearts connect across the miles ... Love Mom