Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Where Do You Draw the Line?

I'm a mom. I'm also a teacher. Those two roles shouldn't conflict, but here's my dilemma, in all it's raw honesty:

I have found in ten years in the public schools that some of the easiest parents to work with also happen to be teachers. I have also found that the worst parents to work with happen to be teachers. I have always vowed to not be *that* parent. I hate to admit it, but no matter how lovable the child may be, if the parents are difficult, I tend to not give any extra help to their children. If for no other reason than to avoid conflict. (And while I'm being honest, if I'm having trouble to the point where I need a parent's input, the child is probably not that lovable to begin with.)

Well...we've had some difficulty with someone providing services to Dayna through the school district. We feel that Dayna has not been helped, and recently discovered that some harm may have actually been done. For two years, we've been afraid to say anything because we don't want to be *those* parents. We didn't want to turn someone against our child because we were too pushy. She's not even school-age yet, and we don't want her relationship with school personnel to be negatively set before she starts Kindergarten.

And yet...we're her only parents. We need to be her advocates and speak up for her. We will likely cause more harm by not speaking up. It's a tricky, touchy situation and a fine line to draw. Definitely one we must cover in prayer.

Today was Dayna's annual IEP (Individual Education Plan) meeting. We're going to see some changes in her care this year. Please pray that these are positive changes, and that, if necessary, Dan & I will have the wisdom, courage and humility to address the concerns we have for Dayna.

No comments: