Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Simple Math

I'm studying Revelation this summer. Right now I'm spending some time getting to know the seven churches John writes to in the beginning of the book. Today I read about Pergamum. (Pergawhom?) Christ is described differently in each letter. To Pergamum, he's described as having a 2-edged sword coming out of his mouth. This takes me back to Ephesians 6 and John 1...the sword represents the Word of God, and John starts his Gospel by telling us that Jesus is the Word.

So, back to Pergamum. They're condemned for following false teaching. I can't help but catch Christ's description in light of this. The only cure for bad doctrine is the Word of God. I asked myself what false doctrine am I following? I'm ashamed to admit that I often worship the god of self. I want my way, I want to do my thing, why doesn't everyone submit to what I want to do? How can I turn from the false god of self and follow the sound doctrine of the Word? By remembering simple math: He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)

1 comment:

Holly said...

(sigh) Yes. Yes. yes. Yes. yes.
simple math.
Why is math so challenging for me?