Monday, May 20, 2013

Christian?

In the past 24 hours, I've read some disheartening things by people claiming to be Christians.

Within 30 seconds of browsing at one Facebook page, known as the "Christian Left", I saw people threatening physical harm to the next person who used the word "Entitlement", calling a certain political figure a "moron", and saying any conservative Christian is just brainwashed.

Last night, on an adoption group, a man claiming to be a Christian (obviously far right-wing) was spouting off about some conspiracy theory between the Adoption Tax Credit audits a few years ago and the current IRS scandal involving conservative groups. When several people politely offered different views, he went off calling people all sorts of names, and ended up by telling the whole group to "go to h***".

While I make no apologies for my faith or political stance, sometimes I'm embarrassed by the people who claim to represent my faith and politics.

Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile."

We had an interesting conversation with Dayna last week about politics. How it was good that there are two parties who keep each other in line. How one party is strong in some areas and weak in others, and how the other party balances. We discussed why we have chosen certain parties, and then mentioned close friends and family members who believe differently. People we respect immensely.

I'm not blind to the problems of my political party; and more often than not, I feel that my views are not necessarily being represented in government. But as one person said last night...what happened to just being American?

What has happened to our society when the Internet has become such a dumping ground for hatred. On both sides? Why the name calling? And what has happened to vigorous debate while still respecting the person you're talking with?

And Christians (myself included)...step carefully. The world is watching.

No comments: