Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Commands and Callings

Mommy Wars. We have them over everything: education choices, whether or not to seek employment, breastfeeding. It seems that there is so much judgment and so little conversation. (And I confess, I'm probably guilty myself. I do hold some pretty strong opinions.) At the end of the day, what's really important? I believe that it's whether or not we've lived our lives to glorify God and do what's best for our family.

So I was quite happy on Sunday to hear our pastor address the fact that God's universal commands are not the same as an individual's calling.

Let me give an example. We are ALL commanded to care for orphans (James 1:27 among others). This isn't a "cause". It's a command.

But does that mean that all of my friends should go out and adopt just because we did? Of course not. Caring for orphans and adopting a child are not the same thing. I have one friend who uses her background as a music therapist to travel the world and offer her services to orphans and underprivileged children. Other friends take their gently used clothes to the local foster care closet. Another friend offers to pray for my family as we prepare to meet Annie. There are a multitude of ways to care for orphans. Adoption is just one of them.

God's universal command to care for orphans is not the same as my family's call to adopt two of them.

So why..why...why do so many Christians feel that what is right for their family is what every family should do? This has really filled a lot of my thoughts the past few years as I struggled with working full-time outside the home. I felt there was little support from my church for moms like me who tried to keep everything balanced.

I stumbled across this blog tonight and absolutely loved what she had to say. Please let me know what you think.

http://jenwilkin.blogspot.com/2013/02/christian-subculture-and-stay-at-home.html

Let's celebrate the fact that God calls us in different ways to achieve His ultimate glory.

No comments: