Thursday, May 31, 2012

Lessons from the Apostles

I just finished studying "The Acts of the Apostles" for the second time with BSF. At the end of the year, leaders were asked to write a letter to our teaching leader, sharing some thoughts and ways that we've been changed this year through the study. This is my letter:


Becky,

The Acts of the Apostles Marathon is almost over. We’ve finished 26 miles and have just a fraction left to go. Little did I know when this year started that I’d be running a different kind of race. The trials I have faced have tested and stretched me beyond my own limits. But God held me in the palm of His hand. At times, the course changed. I told God “but I didn’t train for THIS!” There were legs of my race when He slapped a blindfold on me. And I whined, “but I can’t SEE!” But He gently whispered to me, “Even the darkness is not dark to Me. Take my hand. Keep running.”

And so I ran. And ran. And ran. I stumbled and fell. Many times. I took my eyes off God. I tried to take some steps on my own power. And He kept drawing me back. I lifted my eyes and gazed at Him. I gave myself grace when I stumbled and celebrated the successes He offered along the way. God has given me courage and boldness as I have tried to bring Him glory on this blindfolded race. I don’t know that I’ll ever understand why God allowed the events of this year to happen, but I know that I’m not longer the person I was last August when the Acts Marathon began.

So now, the finish line is in sight. Tomorrow I will be submitting a letter that will change a lot of things. I have absolutely no idea where the next race will take me. I don’t know what injuries I’ll find along the way. But I do know that I never race alone.

Thank you for coming alongside me this year. I could hear your words of encouragement cheering me along the way. Whatever race you may find yourself running, I hope you hear these same words echoing in your heart as you run:

Acts 20:24
However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the gospel of God’s grace.

1 Corinthians 9:24
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

2 Timothy 4:7
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

Hebrews 12:1
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.

Alaina

No comments: