Sunday, April 29, 2012

1:19

I've been convicted right and left lately about my tongue. Those biting, sarcastic words I say. The temper that always seems to get the best of me...

I have also seen those same negative habits in my new students. One class in particular has been quite cruel to each other with their words and attitudes. I confess...I got pretty upset with them before spring break.

When I came back, I shared with them a principle I try to live my life by. You know...the one that says to be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry. I confessed that I had become quick to anger with their class and asked their forgiveness.

I don't think that's what they expected from me. Fortunately, they were quick to offer forgiveness. Then a girl raised her hand and said, "That's okay, Mrs. Wilson...I think we were pretty quick to speak."

From that point on, the class mantra has been "let's be slow to speak and that will help Mrs. Wilson be slow to anger." (Now...I have made a point of letting them know that we are only responsible for ourselves...I should restrain my own tongue no matter what another person says or does to me.)

I think it's starting to sink in. This week, I had to have 4 students removed. I asked them to take some time and write my expectations for music class while they were in another room. Each student came back to me with these words:

  1. Be quick to listen.
  2. Be slow to speak.
  3. Be slow to anger.
I hope I never stop learning from them.

No comments: