Thursday, March 22, 2012

Worms

I was transported back in time this morning. It's spring break, so of course it's been raining all week (not that I mind...reminds me of Oregon.) I decided to dig out the old running shoes this week, and I'm starting over with Couch to 5K. Today was week one, day two. (Gotta get some of these pounds and inches off before my 20 year reunion this summer...not that I'm that old!)

This morning, the skies cleared and the sun was peeking through. The daffodils are up, the tulip trees are in full bloom, some tulips are starting to pop out, and I even saw the beginnings of some lilac blossoms (I actually smelled them first.) The wet grass was glittering in the sun, and the streets were just wet enough to make it feel cool and spring-y.

But the sight (and smell) that really took me back to my youth...those days when I first discovered running on the Damascus Middle School track team...were the worms.

Worms. Worms. Everywhere worms. I could smell them, I could see them, and I tried not to feel them slipping under my feet by some artful dodging. I'm glad I didn't break an ankle in the attempt.

Ah! Spring...

No comments: