Friday, December 31, 2010

Of Pots and Potters

“Woe to those who quarrel with their Maker, those who are nothing but potsherds among the potsherds on the ground. Does the clay say to the potter, ‘What are you making?’ Does your work say, ‘The potter has no hands’?" Isaiah 45:9

I was asked a few months ago what song I would sing to the Lord, and I realized that I've lost my song. The last few months have been difficult, and if I'm honest with myself, I can see some depression creeping back into my life. How sad that a lifelong musician has lost her song. So, I've really been thinking about this and praying lately.

In my last Bible Study before the Christmas break, my teaching leader was sharing about potters and clay. Did you know that when pottery is being fired, the potter will take it from the kiln and give it a good thump. If the pot is ready, it will sing. If not, it just thuds, and back into the fire it goes. So, I guess God has been thumping me lately, checking my attitudes and seeing if I will sing. Alas, I just keep thudding, and God continues to put me through the fire and refining me some more.

Now, this isn't a perfect analogy, and I don't want to give the impression that I think God is punishing me for my attitude by continuing to put me in the fire of various trials. But I do think there's something to be said for God continuing to refine me until my will (and attitude) come into alignment with His.

I'm walking through an incredibly fiery trial right now. I honestly don't know how it will end, but it could have potentially devastating repercussions for my family. I'm learning, and I'm facing my consequences...but most importantly, I think I'm learning to sing again.

No comments: