Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Stop and Lick the Beaters

I've found in my year of watching my food and keeping up on my exercise, that I haven't taken time to stop and bake with my daughter. It's one of those rites of passage for a little girl to put on a too-big apron, stand on a kitchen chair, and pick egg shells out of the batter. No, cookies don't need to be made on a daily, or even weekly, basis. But, what's the harm of occasionally whipping up a batch of something tasty, consuming it in moderation (or better yet, sharing it with others)?
And so, on yet another snowy day, home from school and daycare, Dayna and I just made a batch of Devil's food mini-cupcakes. She got a "kids cook" set from my sister for Christmas and has been asking and asking to bake with me.

She's also one marble away from filling her marble jar and earning a surprise. I'm thinking I can find a way for her to get that last marble this afternoon, and tonight we can have a party. (Since we can't get out of the house, anyway.) The cupcakes are already made, and I'm sure we can fit in some party games like Wii Bowling or Wii Fit to burn off those extra sprinkles.

I guess it all comes down to...take time to stop and lick the beaters once in awhile. The time spent together is more precious than any bite-size cupcake, or even pride in another low calorie day.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Love you Alaina! Really.