Monday, March 23, 2009

All the King's Horses and All the King's Men...

You can't unbreak an egg. That's the lesson Dayna learned tonight. A tough lesson for a 3-year-old. This weekend, we went to the Amana Colonies in Eastern Iowa. They have a tradition there of dying the most beautiful eggs. They used to use the dyes from the woolen mills (but because of toxicity now use food coloring) and seal the color and eggs with glue from the furniture factories. These hand-dyed eggs are the most vibrant colors. I bought myself a dozen this week, hoping to put them out for years, remembering the great weekend we had with our friends. (Can you see where this is going?)

Well, apparently, these vivid colors were just a little too tempting for small eyes. Before I had a chance to display these gorgeous eggs, Dayna had pulled herself up on her tippy-tippy-toes to take just a little peek. Those eggs came a-crashing down. All twelve were broken.

Dayna spent some time in her room while I finished some phone calls and thought about what to do. I confess, I was initially put out that I had spent the money for beautiful eggs that I can't use. But, the more I thought about it, the more I sensed that there was a lesson to be learned in all of this.
When Dayna emerged from her room, we counted twelve broken eggs together. Twelve eggs that can't be uncracked. Twelve eggs that will never again be beautiful Easter decorations. Twelve eggs that very soon will start to stink because they've cracked.

It's kind of like sin. Once it's out there, it can never be undone. And if you don't deal with it, you're going to start to stink...even worse than a dozen rotten eggs.

But, we don't have to stay cracked. Jesus can take those sins and as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us. (Psalm 103:12) We will still face the consequences of our sins, but we no longer have to walk around as stinky, cracked eggs. In fact, God will turn us into something new and beautiful. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! (2 Corinthians 5:17)

2 comments:

Mom to 5...Daughter of the King said...

Praise Jesus that he can repair all of us cracked eggs!

Holly said...

You are such a good Mom...I mean that. I know you're not perfect, but you are OPEN to the Lord's leading and you are doing a fantastic job of shepherding your daughter's heart.
I pray the Lord blesses you once again.
Love,
Holly