Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Citizenship

It's something I don't often think about. Citizenship is a privilege that comes from being born in the country where I live. I'm an American. I didn't have to do anything special for this to happen. I just am.

But having gone through the Immigration process once for Dayna, and doing it again for Anne, I know that the privilege of citizenship isn't so easy for others. We've sat in a waiting room with people from all over the globe wading through endless documents and waiting for the day they can also call themselves Americans. For those not born here, the right to become an American citizen is worth the blood, sweat and tears it takes to make that happen.

However, as much as I love being an American, I long for something more. I know that God has allowed me to live her for a time, but this isn't what He created me for.

But our citizenship is in heaven...(Philippians 3:20a)

This is a citizenship that no one is born into. No one can work hard enough or study long enough or fill out enough papers to earn citizenship. But it's a citizenship that is freely offered to everyone.

To say it's freely offered does not mean it comes without a price. A dear price that was paid at the cross with the blood of Christ. I know that I will live out my citizenship someday in the land I was created for...a land that was promised.

And in a few weeks, when I stand in the US Consulate building halfway around the world, watching my new daughter become a US Citizen, I will remember our true citizenship is in heaven. And I will thank God for the price that was paid.

No comments: