Saturday, July 31, 2010

Heart to Heart

"Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children." (Titus 2:3-4)

14 years ago, I moved to Nebraska. I was young, far from home, and very, very naive. I was engaged to the wrong man, trying to earn a graduate degree, and generally trying to find my way on my own in the great big world. I started attending a new church, and saw a notice in the bulletin for the "Heart to Heart" program. Heart to Heart paired older women with younger women in a mentoring relationship. I was familiar with Heart to Heart back in Oregon, and thought it would be a good idea to find someone and plug myself in here in Nebraska.

Early in the week, I called the number and was paired with a lovely woman named Mary Ann. I was a graduate student studying music, Mary Ann was a piano teacher. On the surface, we were a perfect fit.

I'm so glad we were able to go beneath the surface. For 14 years, Mary Ann has become a mother figure to me (she'll never replace my mom, but it's wonderful to have somebody HERE when I need a shoulder or some advice.) She has helped me learn to be more selfless and fall more deeply in love with my husband. She has given me an example of a heart that is always worshiping her Savior. She has Godly insight into parenting. God has orchestrated so beautifully in our families the gift of adoption. We have our precocious Dayna, and Mary Ann is grandmother to precious Joshua (Liberia), Danny (Sioux), Alex (US- Hispanic), and Matthew (US - Caucasian).

Today we all gathered and celebrated Mary Ann's birthday. I was honored to be considered part of the family and join in the celebration. (I even got to help with wedding invitations for the upcoming nuptials of Mary Ann's youngest daughter.) To see those children (and sweet Savannah...a beautiful foster grandchild) playing together must bring a huge smile to God's eyes. I know it put a smile on ours.

Mary Ann is one of those bright spots of sunshine that helps everyone she touches to grow and bloom.

So now it's my turn...I wonder who God will bring to my life, and how He will use me to help another woman become more like Him.

Happy birthday, Mary Ann!

1 comment:

Garey and Janiece said...

Yes, Mary Ann, happy birthday and thank you for being a wonderful example and mentor to Alaina! I can't think of anyone I would rather have for Alaina's "other" mother! Janiece