Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Expectations

Disclaimer: random, honest ramblings ahead.

I recently wrote of a party I threw to celebrate God. I never wanted the party to be about me, but to be about God's goodness.

The lead-up to my party was kind of disappointing. I confess, I wonder why it's so easy for people to spend hours on Facebook or other computer sites, but when asked to send a brief story of something God has done in their lives, I got little response. In fact, over 90% of some very personal messages and requests were outright ignored. Invitations went out to people I knew have been touched by the Lord in some way...people who profess a relationship with Christ. Less than 10% of the people I invited responded with a story. I don't share this to sound judgmental...I just don't understand why people wouldn't want to take a moment to share God's goodness.

In talking with my mom, we discussed that the whole concept of celebrating your re-birthday is foreign to many people. They didn't quite know what to do with my invitation. If you fell into that category, I'd love to get into your head a little bit and know what I could have done differently.

Anyway, I did receive some lovely stories, and I cherish the scrapbook that I have made. It's a wonderful way for me to celebrate what God has done for my friends, and a reminder when things look bleak that GOD IS WORKING.

As far as the party goes, aside from husband and daughter, I had 4 friends come. I had planned on 30. It was a little hard to not be disappointed, but since I had been specifically praying about my expectations, I see that God hand-picked the friends who would come. When I think about the 3 people who have influenced my faith the most since I moved to Nebraska, I realized that all 3 were there. I was also able to make a connection with a man at church (he "happened" to be walking by, so he came in and joined us...he makes the total jump to 5) who works with foreign students at the University. We're hoping to use this connection to meet some Chinese students and further make an impact on that country we love so much.

So, if you were able to share in my celebration, either by sending a story or coming to my party, thank you. If you weren't, please take the time to celebrate God by sharing one thing...just one thing...God has done with someone around you (it doesn't have to be me). Please...do it today!

Thanks for letting me honestly ramble...I pray I haven't offended.

3 comments:

Diane said...

Alana I just got a note from Eagle Fern Camp. It had a article written about a person who celebrated 25 year being a Christian and talked about they accepted Christ there at camp... I got done reading it and it was from YOU!!! hey I know that girl....congradulation on coming to Gods family at EFC. It is a great place and thousands of kids have commited there lives to Christ at camps... Right now camps are going on (infact I am suppose to be there right now cooking but we are having a baby this week so my priorities are to "be on call" for my daughter.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on what people spend their time on. I am one of those guilty people. I thought your party sounded like a great idea and I had intentions of responding. I am going to send you a note for your book. At the time, I could not think of a story. Thatis no excuse God touches my life everyday in some way. So you will hear from me soon.

Garey and Janiece said...

I have been reflecting the past week about my recent visit to Nebraska. If I haven't said so, let me do so now ... I had a wonderful time and enjoyed more than I can say our special times of sharing our hearts and lives. In my quiet time this morning, I read again the story of the woman at the well ... for me, it's not so much about the woman but about the people she told about Jesus ... when they came and met Jesus face to face, their response was "now we believe, not just because you told us but because we have seen for ourselves." Heritage and legacy are two very important words to me - I thank God for the heritage of parents who gave me a foundation so when I met Jesus face to face in my early 20s, I could then say, "I believe because I have seen with my own eyes" ... it's now a blessing to see a glimpse of the legacy of that same face to face faith in our children and grandchildren. I love you, Alaina! Mom