Wednesday, February 4, 2009

On the Mountain

While leading the Israelites out of Egypt and into the Promised Land, God made a stop along the way. For 40 days and nights, Moses went alone up Mt. Sinai to spend time with God. It's a good reminder for me that God will bring His leaders up to spend time alone with Him on the mountain so they can go back into the valley to serve.

I love serving God! I count it such a privilege to be able to do His work and further His kingdom. I am never so aware of my weakness and utter dependence on Him as when I'm doing His work. Even so, God doesn't have me serving Him on the mountain; He has me down here in the trenches. The valley, as it were. Moses was in the desolate wilderness with 2 million grumbling Israelites!

I confess, sometimes I feel like I'm not even in the valley or the wilderness; sometimes I feel like I'm in a cave and I can't see my way out. Maybe it's because February is a rather bleak time of year; maybe it's because my hormones are out of whack this week; maybe it's because I'm just plain tired. I'm praying for a refreshed spirit and attitude toward serving God and others. Praying that God would take away my own tendency toward grumbling.

I've hit a patch of discouragement lately with some women I love dearly. As we're studying the Life of Moses, we've now entered the world of Leviticus. Let me tell you, Leviticus is hard! These women are getting discouraged reading lists of rules. In trying to encourage them to press on and find the rich truths God has for them in EVERY part of His Word (even Leviticus), I find their discouragement to be a bit contagious. And yet I press on, inviting God to fill my spirit, remove my grumbling, and allow Him to use me to encourage others.

I have the privilege to attend a leadership retreat this weekend in St. Louis. I'm excited for the time away, and waiting in expectation for God to pull me aside for some time with Him on the mountaintop so that He can send me back into the valley to serve with a renewed desire and spirit.

2 comments:

Holly said...

You can do it girl! Our family is reading through the Bible and we made it through Leviticus!
Seriously, God really does have things for us to learn in EVERY book....even the not-so-riveting ones!
May He refresh your spirit during your retreat!
love,
Holly (WCF)

Mom to 5...Daughter of the King said...

Press on towards the prize!!