Sunday, February 15, 2009

Twice Adopted

I've put off posting this monumental event, because I'm kind of at a loss for words. (I know that surprises those of you who know me.)

I returned from my retreat last weekend sick, tired, and completely energized to jump back into life. We pulled into the parking lot in Omaha at about 8:00. None of us had eaten dinner, and we were all tired. By the time we stopped at "M for Mommy" (Dayna's version of McDonald's) and drove home, we were all pretty zonked.

After tucking Dayna in bed, I stayed for awhile to snuggle with my girl that I hadn't seen all weekend. While enjoying the snuggles and the silence, Dayna tells me, "I'm ready to ask Jesus into my heart." I call for her daddy to come back upstairs and we sit together as a family on her bed. Dayna confirmed to us that she know that Jesus died on the cross to forgive her sins, and that He was the only way to be with God forever. (Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." - John 14:6) She then said a simple prayer asking Jesus to live in her heart and forgive her sins forever.

I can think of no greater moment for our daughter. This was the one thing we couldn't give her, and had to keep trusting and praying that God would move her heart at the right time. I will admit to having specifically prayed that when she came to a saving knowledge of Christ, that I would have the privilege of being there, and that it would happen before her fourth birthday. Specific prayers, I know, but God is in the business of answering prayers.

Dayna now knows that she has had the privilege of being twice born and twice adopted.

John 3:5-8 Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You must be born again.' The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."

Ephesians 1:5 He predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will.