Sunday, September 12, 2010

Something's Got to Give

My little girl is whimpering right now, and I don't blame her. This weekend was so packed...with good things...many of them a thrill any 5-year-old would enjoy. We spent 2 hours at the Kids Against Hunger open house yesterday, where Dayna had the bouncy house pretty much to herself the whole time. Last night, I took her on an errand, where we ended up at Sonic. Afterwards, we came home, popped some popcorn and set up a fort to watch a movie. This afternoon was a picnic for Families with Children from China. . .

Well, life happened this evening, and she really wanted to play house with me. Unfortunately, I only had about 10 minutes to give her. Now bedtime has come (and gone), and we still haven't really just played together. Tomorrow is Monday...the whirlwind starts again.

I'm really trying to make the most of the time we have together, but quality time just isn't enough. I need to be able to have a quantity of time with her as well. I dropped everything a few minutes ago, took my half-dressed daughter (the other half was in pajamas already) for a dusky walk around the block. I tried to have a heart-to-heart with her, but we're both just so sad and strung out missing each other, that we're both in tears.

I keep telling myself that the routines are just now starting...new year of Bible Study, new year of Children's Ministry programming...once we get that routine set, it will get easier. It just seems so hard right now, and I need my daughter...dare I say she needs me, too?

I don't know where I'm going with this, but I'm signing off, crawling in bed with Dayna, and reading her a story...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Mommy. You are being too hard on yourself. You sound like the most amazing Mother and your little girl is so blessed to have you. Life is throwing you a curve ball right now. It will get better and easier.