Saturday, September 11, 2010

Just When I'm Feeling the Routine...

Finally! Week 5 of working full-time (week 4 with students) and I'm finally fitting into a groove. At my new school, I finally feel like 3 of my grade levels and I are starting to figure out how we all work together. I'm starting to see small successes with my new students, I'm not feeling quite so crabby and "fly by the seat of my pants." Classroom routines are working and I've finally made sense of our new online grading system.

Things are humming along, and I'm finally beginning to feel like I can do this. It's going to be okay.

Then I walk into my portable and discover that sometime in the 5 days since I've been at that school, my laptop was stolen. The good news is that I'm not liable, since it was taken from school property. But...all of my CDs were loaded into iTunes; a lot of my chapter's information was on the hard drive....my lesson plans, my power point presentations...

I know this is not the end of the world, but it certainly put a wrinkle in my week that was very, very hard to shake. Crabby Mrs. Wilson came back, and it was generally a really crummy last two days of the week.

Cars and computers...necessary evils. *sigh*

2 comments:

Pamster said...

What a horrible event to have to deal with. When you get a replacement, may I recommend a service such as Mozy, Carbonite, or Backblaze? All your files (but not your programs) are automatically backed up to a password protected online server. In the event of loss or failure of your hard drive, they have various plans for restoring the data for you. I've been using Backblaze for some time now and it gives me huge peace of mind. Sorry you have to deal with this wrinkle just when you were getting into the groove of your school year.

alainaw30 said...

Great ideas...I don't know if I can do that from a school computer. I do still have my old laptop, even though it's dead, I think I can salvage my files from it. It's not the end of the world, just an incredible pain in the backside.