Monday, August 9, 2010

Using a Ladle

My goal for the summer (and everyday, but particularly this summer) was to be purposeful in my activities and conversations with Dayna. I wanted to establish routines, habits and memories that would help shape Dayna into a future responsible adult.

So I sit here at the computer now, less than an hour before I go to bed before I start the full-time teaching thing in the morning. I've been reflecting all day on how I did with my goals.

Today was one of those days that I never really stopped moving. Dayna and I were up and going by 7:00, had laundry gathered, sorted and started by 7:20 before we took the car to be fixed (again!) We walked home from the mechanic, stopping for a special breakfast on the way. Once home (about 8:15), it was go, go, go. I really was moving nonstop, and yet my house wasn't getting any cleaner. I was getting frustrated, because I really wanted to enjoy Dayna today and give her a little extra attention. But duty was calling, and I had to just keep moving. I ended up talking to both my mother-in-law and my mom this morning, sharing some of my angst at getting things done, but having nothing to show for it.

Well, lunch time came. Dayna has been asking and asking for mac and cheese lately, so I told her we could have that today. I used my handy shortcut (have I mentioned yet the instant hot water dispenser Dan gave me for my birthday? He's really the best husband in the world!) and started with near boiling water. Dayna poured in the noodles and I set the timer. When it was done, I drained the noodles, but Dayna did everything else to prepare our lunch today. While I was flitting around like a whirling dervish trying to get things picked up around the house, I flew back through the kitchen to see Dayna using the wooden spoon to dish the mac and cheese into some plastic bowls. At this moment, it dawned on me to STOP and help Dayna find a better way. I pulled the soup ladle out of the utensil jar. Dayna quickly learned that the ladle is much more effective than the wooden spoon.

And it dawned on me...it's a very little thing, but I taught my daughter how to use a ladle today. Never again will she try to serve mac and cheese (or similar dishes) with a wooden spoon. It's great for stirring, but not for serving. This may not have an eternal impact on my daughter, but the simple act of showing her a better way is one step closer to helping Dayna make a happy home for her family someday.

Have I been purposeful? I have a daughter who wants to help (and is truly helpful). I've seen a better work ethic in both of us. I'm learning to stop what I'm doing (okay, today wasn't the best example) and spend time investing in my daughter. And I've learned to give myself grace when it comes to keeping house. I've thought for years that I must be a lazy person, and I've seen this summer that I've accomplished SO MUCH...and a lot of it has been eternal. Keeping a clean house is being a good steward of what I've been given. But, it's not the most important role in my life.

So...tomorrow starts a new chapter. I'm terrified. But I think I'll be taking a wooden spoon to work with me to remind me when I'm not getting anywhere that there might be a better way. And the answer might be sitting right next to me in the utensil jar.

No comments: