Monday, June 28, 2010

My Not-So-Secret Love Affair

I confess...I'm addicted to Anne. I must read the books (all eight of them!) every summer...except for the sticky problem that my books are falling apart. I now settle for every other summer.

I mean...really...who can resist that redhead who says what she thinks and manages to get in (and out of) many scrapes. The girl who was initially unwillingly adopted by siblings Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert, but who quickly won their hearts. A lesson in God's Providence...they thought they wanted a boy, but God knew they needed a girl.

And how can you not relate to her quick temper when Gilbert (swoon) calls her "Carrots" and she breaks the slate over his head? Seriously? How many times have you wished you could break a slate over someone's head? (Okay...maybe the thought doesn't cross our minds in this day and age, but don't you secretly want to give full vent once in awhile? Not that it did her {or us} much good in the long run...)
But after years of rivalry and antagonism, you knew they had to end up together. *sigh*

How can you not love Anne?

2 comments:

Holly said...

we just watched the series on DVD during the time when we had no AC for a few weeks..and we were living in my bedroom with a window unit! I ADORED them BUT...there was a lot of yucky talk about orphans and early on it became obvious that it was too painful for Josiah to watch...he was in tears...so he had to watch cartoon movies with headphones while we watched Anne..with an e :)
I have to be more careful now with movies...Josiah is young but very very smart and oh so sensitive.

alainaw30 said...

I use those as teachable moments with Dayna, it's good to compare how orphans were viewed, but also talk about how much God cares for them. Also, you might notice and discuss that the only "yucky" conversations were coming from people who didn't KNOW Anne.

We've had some interesting conversations lately about other groups that are generalized in a negative light, and why it's important to remember that people are individuals and not to be stereotyped as a group.

I think "The Jungle Book" is quite a bit more sticky when it comes to abandonment and orphan issues.

I urge you to try again when he's a little bit older. This really is a precious story of an orphan girl whose adoption is such a beautiful (although not typical today) thing.

(For the record...the books do contain some antiquated opinions of certain cultures, etc....again, teachable moments.)