Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Divine Appointments

We attend a local free concert series every summer. Each week, we take a picnic, enjoy the jazz and see friends. This year, we never really saw anyone we know until last night, which was the final night of the series.

I posted my birthday invitation a few weeks back. The response has been underwhelming. Of over 300 people I've invited and asked to send a God story, I've received fewer than ten. (The invitation, by the way, is to participate by sharing a God story, not necessarily by your physical presence.) This has discouraged me to no end, led to sleepless nights and quite a bit of frustration and expectation adjustments.

Last night, my friend Nora and her children (both great buddies of Dayna) wandered by and decided to join us. The next hour and half led to Nora telling me the sweetest story of how God has worked in her life through the illness of both of her parents this spring and the temporary loss of her mother last month. To see Nora's faith shine through, and her quickness to acknowledge God's hand in all of it, was such an encouragement to me. And the timing couldn't have been better...it was a great reminder to me that people do still take the time to see God's hand in their lives and share it with others.

Thanks, Nora for sharing your story and your friendship with me last night. You are a dear, dear woman.

No comments: