Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Reaping and Sowing, Part 1

Monday was a long day at work, with many factors going against my state of mind. 1. First day back after Halloween with sugared-up kids. 2. Full moon. 3. Time change and body clocks that were out of sorts. Throw a late staff meeting on top at the end of the day, and I was drained.

Walking out of the staff meeting, I saw two teenage girls sitting by the office. One excitedly called out "Mrs. Wilson!" I greeted her, but for the life of me couldn't tell you who she was. It's not uncommon for students to come back and say hello. I've had over 2000 students in ten years...names fail me after a few. She then asked if I still taught at another school. It was at this point it dawned on me that she didn't go to the school where I currently teach, and she had several music teachers at the one to which she was referring. We started talking...I hadn't been at that school since I went to China. That was her last year as well. She's now a Sophomore in high school. She's in choir, and is trying out for show choir. (She has an amazing director there, by the way.)

Before we parted paths, she looked up at me and told me, "Mrs. Wilson, you're the reason that I sing."

Somehow, five to seven years ago, I did something right and made an impact. It more than made up for the crummy day I had.

That night at Bible Study, we talked about sowing, reaping and the harvest. Timely.

By the way, once we started talking, it came to me. Her name is Stacy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Moments like this make us really stop and think, why we do things. Thanks for sharing!!

Mom to 5...Daughter of the King said...

Those are the reasons you teach! I miss those moments!