Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Teacher Appreciation

Last week was Teacher Appreciation Day here in Nebraska. I can't say it was much of a big deal to me, as I missed the special lunch at both of my schools (by being at the other school).

However, each year when this day comes around, I can't help but think of the teachers who made a difference in my life, and helped shape me into the woman and teacher I am today. Sure, there are a handful of truly terrible teachers I had along the way (and I'm sure I didn't make their jobs any easier). And there are several teachers whose names I remember, but I can't recall any remarkable things I learned in their classes. Then there are the great teachers whose classes I enjoyed...I soaked up every morsel I could because they were fascinating and made their subject interesting. (Could it be that I LOVE to quilt because I had a great geometry teacher in high school?)

But two teachers really stand out in my mind, and both contributed to my decision to become a teacher. The first wasn't a teacher I had in school. Meredith was the first (and only in my esteem) piano teacher I ever had. (I studied with two others in college and grad school, and while they may be better musicians, they don't hold a candle to the lessons I learned from Meredith.) I was at the tender age of five when I had my first piano lesson. I was absolutely mesmerized by Meredith, her home, her piano...everything about her. I went home that day and told my mom that I was going to be a music teacher just like her when I grew up. I have never strayed from that childish vow. Later that year, I played in my first recital. The big piece? "The Big Green Frog." Whoever played before me had left the bench a bit too low on the piano. In all my gusto, I plopped myself down, swung my little legs back and forth (because they didn't reach the ground), and played my entire piece from memory...all an octave too low! When I had realized my mistake, I was mortified! Meredith simply came alongside me and told me that it was the "froggiest" song she had ever heard. That was the beginning of 13 years together. In hindsight, I probably spent more time talking than playing, but I could think of no greater thing each week than to please Meredith. When I graduated from college, she had these words for me:

Dearest Alaina,

Her feet didn't quite reach the floor as she sat on the bench. She had long, beautiful golden hair, a shy smile, and was very enthusiastic about learning to play the piano. The lessons were always fun because she always told me a little about her day before we started the lesson. Sometimes she was funny or excited about what had happened during the day, and there were times when she was sad. But those few moments of quiet talk each week were the building stones of what became a warm and special friendship. Her music gave me great pleasure also as I listened to her "graduate" from a little piece about a frog to Rachmoninoff's Prelude in C# Minor. I was so proud when she played the Prelude at contest from memory. It was her finest moment at the piano.

Now she is a beautiful young woman, and a great part of that beauty is her faith in God and her willingness to let Him direct her path.

The story of this young woman's life is just beginning and it has been my pleasure to have had a small part in it and I can't wait to see what's next!

Alaina - all my love and best to you! Psalm 118:14 "The Lord is my strength and song..."

Wow! To have a mentor you deeply esteem have such kind words to say leaves me speechless and humbled. Meredith was so much more than a teacher.

Fast forward to middle school...never a shining time for young adults. It takes a truly special person to love and teach kids at this age. Mrs. Verdoorn was my truly special person. She taught literature in 7th and 8th grades. She must have made an impact on me in 7th grade, because in 8th, I asked to be her teacher's assistant. (A fancy name for a free period everyday.) Eighth grade was the year when my life started to fall apart (or at least so it seemed...isn't everything dramatic in middle school?) Several family crises were happening that year, and I felt at the time like my problems were being shoved aside. (Again, in hindsight, probably not the case.) Mrs. Verdoorn genuinely took an interest in me. Because she knew my older sisters and the issues they were facing at the time, she became a very compassionate ear for me to bend. I remember at the end of eighth grade, I learned how to do needlepoint...I made her a framed sampler to hang on her wall at home. After I left eighth grade, Mrs. Verdoorn got remarried, changed her name, and her function at the school. She finished the last 20 years of her career as the guidance counselor. I can't think of anyone better suited for that position. We've stayed in touch through the years. She attended my bridal shower and wedding, then later a baby shower when we were waiting to bring Dayna home from China.

These women were great teachers because they cared about me as a person...not just a student. When the time was appropriate, as our relationships continued, we got to the point where we could truly call each other "friend."

So when I'm having one of those days where I just don't feel like I'm making a difference, I remember these two women. I stop to say a prayer of thanks for having been shaped by them, and another that God might use me to shape one of my students in a lasting way.

1 comment:

Mom to 5...Daughter of the King said...

What a wonderful tribute to two women who greatly impacted who you are today!