Monday, March 23, 2009

5 Little Words


Marriage isn't easy. Don't get me wrong...I have a wonderful husband. It's the marriage stuff that gets hard. We both have our moments of being selfish and lazy...not investing in the other person. I forget to intentionally respect my husband and he forgets to intentionally love and cherish me. It's not that we don't love and respect each other, it's just that we don't take the time to do it intentionally. How easy it is to become roommates instead of husband and wife.
I've been thinking lately about 5 little words that God gives us in the Bible...how those 5 little words could start making little changes that can grow into big changes in our marriage. We all know about the 3 little words...and those are great words. But honestly, how often do they become habit, and we say them without really thinking about them. It's important to say them, and say them often, but sometimes we need to go further.
So, exactly what are these 5 little words, and where can I find them? It's easy...just remember 5 words in Luke 5:5:
Simon answered, "Master, we've worked hard all night and haven't caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets."
What a strange thing Jesus was asking Simon to do. It didn't make any sense. But look at Simon's response: "but because you say so..." It didn't matter that Christ's request was odd. He said to do it, and Simon obeyed.
How would our relationships change if we take Simon's attitude: "but because You say so." I don't feel like jumping up and welcoming home my husband from work...I've had a long day, too. But because Jesus says to honor my husband, I can do this little thing for him. I don't really want to play cards tonight...I'm tired and would rather crawl in bed with a book. But, I know how important this is to him. "But because You say so"...I need to let my husband know that his interests are important to me as well. Dan speaks the language of acts of service. "But because You say so", I need to pick up my own efforts around the house to let him know I love him. I may not want to mop the kitchen floor today, and our marriage won't hinge on whether or not I do it, but as a way to let my husband know I respect and honor his wishes, I can step up my efforts "because You say so."
Easier said then done, "but because You say so", I need to start.

1 comment:

Mom to 5...Daughter of the King said...

Well said and a great reminder my friend!