Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Remembering Aunt Sharon

I found one again. Sitting there behind the TV on the entertainment center, underneath more dust than I care to admit in my home. A small, shiny piece of confetti that says, "I love you."

In early 2001, I learned of my Aunt Sharon's diagnosis of lung cancer. We were told to make the most of our time with her, as we probably had about 6 months left to spend together.

When I was baptized as an infant, Aunt Sharon was chosen as one of my godmothers. When I moved to Nebraska, Aunt Sharon became my second mom. She made sure I was fed well on major holidays when I couldn't go home. She took care of my birthday each year, letting me know she thought I was someone to celebrate. When I was planning my wedding, she helped my mom make my wedding gown. My mom would make part of it in muslin, mail it to Aunt Sharon, who would fit and mark it, then send it back to my mom. She was a great woman.

Well, we made the most of 2001. My parents came out to Nebraska and stayed from March until November. We took long trips, short trips, weekend visits...we made memories.

Whenever Dan & I would visit Aunt Sharon, we would buy a bag of Hershey's Hugs and hide them all over her house. That way, even after we'd gone, Aunt Sharon would know we loved her and get a hug from us. When she finally had to sell her house and move into an apartment in town, she was still finding hugs. (Meanwhile, we were at her apartment leaving more as a housewarming gift.)

Not to be outdone, Aunt Sharon bought a tiny bag that held hundreds of little "I Love You" confetti pieces. Shortly after we bought our house, Aunt Sharon went through, scattering the love.

Aunt Sharon's six months of memory making stretched into 3 1/2 years. We lost her in June of 2004. She was 62 years old. This week would have been her birthday. How ironic that on her day, I discovered another confetti. Thanks, Aunt Sharon. I love you and miss you more than words can say...can't wait to see you again!

1 comment:

Mom to 5...Daughter of the King said...

That is a beautiful tribute to a lady who was obviously beautiful herself. I am glad she is still blessing you today!