Saturday, June 30, 2012

Fires!

I had the opportunity to catch up with a long-time friend this week. (No...I won't say "old" friend.) She's in town working for the US Swim Team Olympic trials. I took her to my favorite restaurant for a long, leisurely lunch on Tuesday. We had such a great time catching up...hard to believe 24 years have passed since we first met.

In the middle of our lunch, she received a series of phone calls. The fires in Colorado Springs were reaching perilously close to home. Her family was placed on voluntary evacuation. Needless to say, the rest of lunch was filled with anxiety and distraction.

I had the privilege then and there to stop and pray for her. To pray for her young family back home. To pray for her peace and calm. To pray that her trust would be unshaken.

That night, she flew home. Her family was placed on mandatory evacuation. The fires have destroyed the subdivision just to the south of her neighborhood. Less than 1/4 mile separates the damage from her home.

I don't know why these things happen, but I do know that it's no accident that after several years, we were able to have lunch together at that very moment in time. I continue to pray for her family, and for her home.

And I'm reminded that no matter what fires we face, we're not in them alone:

Isaiah 43:1-4a

But now, this is what the Lord says—
    he who created you, Jacob,
    he who formed you, Israel:
“Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
    I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
When you pass through the waters,
    I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
    they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
    you will not be burned;
    the flames will not set you ablaze.
For I am the Lord your God,
    the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;
I give Egypt for your ransom,
    Cush and Seba in your stead.
Since you are precious and honored in my sight,
    and because I love you.

No comments: