Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Rules of the Game

I have a difficult person in my life. For 7 years, I have ridden her roller coaster of friendliness, followed by passive aggression, followed by sarcasm, followed by friendliness. I never know when I might say something to set her off and start the whole cycle of the cold shoulder and behind my back bullying. This is not a person I can avoid. What stinks the most is that other people are watching and observing (including young people.)

The other day, Dan was commenting to someone else that what he really admires about me is that when I'm faced with a situation like this, I always take the high road.

You know...I'm getting tired of the high road. I'm getting tired of apologizing and making peace for things I haven't done wrong. I'm getting tired of playing a game with someone who keeps changing the rules at her own whim.

What do you do when the rules change?

No comments: