Sunday, November 28, 2010

Gretna Singing Christmas Tree

This afternoon was the final performance of the inaugural season with the Gretna Singing Christmas Tree.

Last August, I sat with three of my friends and listened to over 40 students audition to be part of this endeavor. We ended our season with 35 second through fourth graders. They memorized 23 songs, plus choreography. In addition to the great music, a very sweet drama took place, sharing the Christmas story straight from the Bible.

I have had the privilege of sitting in on rehearsals with these kids every Sunday since Labor Day. This week held 4 rehearsals and 4 performances. Needless to say, I'm tired.

But I want to reflect just a bit. I had 11 kiddos in my small group. During every rehearsal, we broke into our small groups to look at the Bible (thanks to a local church, all participants were given their own Bibles!) and discover the Christmas truths we were singing about. One day in October, my group was looking at John 3:16. Several of the kids were sharing all the good things they did (reading their Bibles, saying their prayers, going to church, etc.) Not one of these students seemed to realize that they didn't need to do a single thing to get to heaven. Jesus had already done the work for them. When I explained this to the students, a collective gasp went through my group as the simple Gospel message went straight to their hearts.

Today, sweet Isabella gave me a little card and told me that she wants to be an accompanist when she grows up. Another young man gave me a hand-crayoned card that said: "Merry Crismas! From Jonah. Thank you four accompanisting us. I know your hands got tirde Mrs. Alaina. Your welkom to have a rest Mrs. Alaina"

You know, I'm exhausted, and this commitment has at times been hard to keep, but I see the eternal value in saying yes to something outside my comfort zone. Dan has likewise been involved as one of the sound and light technicians. He asked me last night if we could do this again next year. Right now, I'm leaning toward a really big yes.

But first, I'm going to get some sleep!

No comments: