Sunday, November 14, 2010

Ah! Politics...

You know, November is a polarizing month in the United States. I was hoping some of the hooplah over the elections would have died down by now.

What really surprises is me is what it has done to some of my friends. You know, I really do have a lot of friends (A LOT!!!!) who disagree with me politically. I know it, they know it, and it really isn't an issue (usually). In fact, it's pretty much a non-issue as (I thought) we just agree to disagree and focus on what we have in common. I respect their rights to their opinions and (I hope) they respect my right to mine. Isn't that what makes America so unique?

Well, I must say, I have been surprised by some of the hateful comments my friends have posted on Facebook this month. Not necessarily directed to me, but I certainly fall under the scope of their comments. I have been called an idiot (i.e. "The idiots have spoken"). I have been called ignorant. I have been called all sorts of names that these friends wouldn't say to my face, but seem to have no problem saying as a generality in a public forum.

I know that elections haven't always gone the way I would have preferred, but I know that our government is in the hands of God...nothing happens that comes as a surprise to him. Thus, I never get all that worked up over elections that may or may not go "my" way. But, I would never make public statements about people being idiots just because they don't agree with me.

What makes this even sadder to me is that most of these comments are coming from people who claim God as their Savior (I'm not saying that He's not, but the comments, attitudes, etc., don't really seem to be reflecting God.)

Just my $.02 worth...

No comments: