Thursday, January 28, 2010

So Proud

I'm so proud of Dayna. Yesterday was not my idea of a great day, and it certainly shouldn't have been for a four-year-old.

The day started with speech at 8:30. Right after speech, I whisked us out of the house and into Omaha for a meeting that lasted 2 hours. Dayna sat quietly, played with her stuffed animal and colored. (Good kid!) We went somewhere for lunch, hopped in the car for an hour to make it to Lincoln for another 2 hour meeting at church. By 5:00 in the afternoon, Dayna had spent her entire day either in the car or in grown-up meetings. Never did she interrupt, whine or complain. Dinner was at church, followed by Jungle Jam. While leading worship at Jungle Jam, I asked several children what some things are that Jesus has done to show them that He loves them. Several children pointed out that Jesus died for our sins. I asked the kids if that was something Jesus WANTED to do, or was it something He did because He loves us so much. We all agreed that Jesus probably didn't FEEL like suffering and dying for us.

So it's late, and Dayna's finally snuggling into bed for the night. While giving her hugs and telling her how proud we are of her, Dayna reaches under her covers and hands me a stuffed hedgehog. She wants me to sleep with it. I asked her if she wanted to give me the hedgehog. Her response: "I don't WANT to give it to you, but I want you to have it because I love you. That's what Jesus would have done."

The girl gets it!

2 comments:

Holly said...

Children are a blessing from the Lord...an INHERITANCE...a REWARD from Him...HIS words :)

Anonymous said...

What a sweet girl you have Alaina. You are such an example to her. She is learning from you and how rewarding it must make you feel. God is so good!