Monday, August 10, 2009

Loving the Church

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her. Ephesians 5:25

I've been thinking about this verse lately. You know...it takes an awful lot of love for Christ to keep loving his church. Think about it: we're petty, we mask gossip as "prayer requests", we indulge in pride, and if we're honest, self-righteousness. We're imperfect people representing the Living God. And yet He still loves us. Perfectly.

This is a pretty tall order for a husband. Especially mine. Because, you see, I'm petty. And lazy. And impatient. And harsh. And moody. Pretty darn unlovable a lot of the time.

But my husband isn't an ordinary man. He somehow manages to keep loving me. With a gentle word. A helpful spirit. Sometimes with a lot of space. He just keeps loving and loving me. Maybe not perfectly, but a lot better than I seem to be able to do.

I don't know what I did to deserve God's favor and get Dan as my husband. Thank You, Lord, for blessing me beyond all I ask or imagine. And thank You for showing our men Your perfect love for Your imperfect church.

1 comment:

Camille said...

Alaina! I saw your comment on the Patty's blog and had to check to see if it was really you! Loved reading a little about your beautiful girl.

Our blog is

http://waagefamily.blogspot.com

Blessings,
Camille