Saturday, August 8, 2009

Birds...not Yet Bees

Yesterday, Dayna and I were having some snuggle time on the couch. We don't read this book often (or at least often enough), but she wanted me to read "Shaoey and Dot." Most of you who follow my blog are very familiar with this book, but for the uninitiated, it's a story by Steven Curtis Chapman and his wife, Marybeth. It tells the story of an abandoned baby in China who is found by a little ladybug. The ladybug becomes a fast friend and follows the baby to the orphanage, eventually her "Gotcha Day" and finally home on a great big airplane. It's told in rhyme and has some very tender moments. (Probably why I don't read it often, as I cry everytime.)

At the end of the story, I started talking with Dayna a little bit about her story before she met us. We talked about her being a baby in a basket, only she wasn't found by a ladybug, she was found by a nice woman named Dong Ling who became her favorite nanny. She asked me who left her in the basket. My response was her other mommy and daddy, who loved her very much, and were probably very sad that they couldn't take care of her. "Who's my other mommy again?" Dayna asked. I told her the woman in China whose tummy Dayna grew inside. (This is a conversation we have had many, many times. She does know how the story goes, but somehow wanted to put a new twist on it this time.) Our tender moment was gone when Dayna looked at me and said in her silly voice, "Did I hatch out like a baby bird?"

No comments: