Tuesday, April 7, 2009

...We Interrupt this Remodel

We didn't get as much done yesterday as we had hoped. My grandmother's health is continuing to deteriorate. We got a call last week that she had been taken to the hospital again, so we changed our plans for the week (not easy for a planner like myself) and drove up to Norfolk to see her. I was able to sit in on a doctor appointment and relay some information to my mom in Oregon. Honestly, I think last week was the happiest I've seen my grandma in years. She was smiling, even giggling, everytime I looked at her. She doesn't hear well, but we still were able to sit for about an hour just watching television (closed caption, no sound). I truly think it was one of the most enjoyable visits I've had. We came home quite encouraged.

That night, we got a call from my mom that Grandma has basically told the charge nurse and doctor that she's done. She thinks she has no quality of life and is just ready to meet Jesus.

Fast forward to this week....since we went up last week, we were planning to stay put and work on our bathroom this week, possibly visiting next week when my mom gets here. Well, those plans changed (once again) when we got a call yesterday that her body is showing the signs of shutting down.

What to do? April is filled with so much stress already (3 performances, a workshop, bathroom remodel, fitting in schedules of various family members who are coming out to see Grandma.) I'm imagining a houseful of guests with no bathroom...the list goes on. I'm feeling absolutely overwhelmed.

After prayer and Bible Study last night, I've made the decision to stay where I am. That may sound heartless, but a several of reasons go into this decision. 1. I learned last night that none of us are indispensable. That is, as great as Moses was, Joshua was waiting in the wings. God continued his work. His work will continue with my Grandma, but I don't need to be the person there with her. Likewise, if my programs need to be rescheduled, so be it. 2. I have such great memories of Grandma and our visit last week, that if she were to die before we make it up there again, I will have no regrets. 3. If I were to go up right now, it would be out of a false sense of obligation rather than a heart conviction. Honestly, I feel freed with this decision.

So, we're plugging away in the bathroom, praying for my Grandma and family, and waiting to see what God is going to do with all of this.

1 comment:

Mom to 5...Daughter of the King said...

I still miss my grandparents desperately. Your grandma knows you love her. Prayer for you my friend.