Tuesday, January 31, 2017

This is the Stuff - Part 2

"In the middle of my little mess/I forget how big I'm blessed."

Yes...the refrain of Francesca's song doesn't end with the crazy. It turns my focus around to see how big I'm blessed. I've put in many, many days of subbing this month, including covering for the long-term sub one week in Annie's preschool class. I had one morning when all five districts contacted me for a job.

My piano studio has outgrown my home. Last spring, I had 9 students perform at the recital. I have added ten students (four just this month!) This month, I started renting space from a local church. And I have a handful of new inquiries weekly and a growing waiting list again.

There are weeks I've put in 55+ hours. (Not bad for a part-time gig, although I do need to make sure my faith and family stay a priority.) It's been five years since my career was turned upside down. I had no idea where God would be taking me - and here I am, self-employed, loving what I do, and still able to help provide for our family.

Our bills are paid. Our house doesn't leak. We never lost power. We had three wonderful weeks with a little hamster. We live in a free country where we have a say in our leadership - and have the freedom to protest that leadership as well. No damage happened to the driver or the car.

I could go on and on - but it's true. In the middle of our little mess, we need to stop and remember how big we're blessed. And while not every month brings the overwhelming blessings I'm feeling right now, it's good to remember how big the "little" blessings are as well.

No comments: