Thursday, April 26, 2012

Look Before You Leap

...to conclusions.

I learned a few good lessons today. While looking out the window before school, I spot my car in the parking lot with the back doors open. I look closer and see two young bodies going through the backseat.

I yelled out, "SOMEBODY'S IN MY CAR!!!!" and took off running, down a long flight of stairs, with the principal hot on my heels calling for security on his radio. I get to my car and see those two young men standing behind my car, holding the leather bag that straps onto the back of the driver's seat and holds Dayna's busy activities. I said, not so nicely, "What are you doing in my car!?!?!" followed by "and what are you doing with my things!?!?"

My principal...who is much more level headed than I am (does that take much?) asked the boys what they were doing. He noticed the lanyard with a keyring at the end. Apparently, they were running an errand for their teacher, and were asked to get some things from behind the driver's seat of her car before a field trip today. She drives a blue SUV. I drive a blue SUV. So, either my car was unlocked (which I can't imagine...my dad trained me to lock everything when we lived in Boring, Oregon...so of course, I lock everything as second nature in Omaha, Nebraska) or the other teacher's remote unlocked my car. The boys just saw a leather bag behind the driver's seat and assumed it was what they were looking for.

Once calmer heads prevailed (mostly mine), I apologized to the boys for scaring them and jumping to conclusions. They felt bad for their honest mistake. And everyone lived happily ever after.

Once my heart stopped pounding and I stopped sweating from my impromptu workout this morning, I was able to take better stock of the situation. I'm so thankful for the calmness of my principal and knowing there are still great honest kiddos out there.

...but I still double checked to make sure my car was locked.

No comments: