Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Maker of Noses

There's an old Rich Mullins song called "The Maker of Noses." The refrain goes:

They said boy you just follow your heart
But my heart just led me into my chest
They said follow your nose
But the direction changed every time I went and turned my head
And they said boy you just follow your dreams
But my dreams were only misty notions
But the Father of hearts and the Maker of noses
And the Giver of dreams He's the one I have chosen
And I will follow Him

Well, Dayna's been preoccupied with her nose lately. Despite the fact that one out of every five people in the world is of Chinese descent, she is the ONLY one in the fair city of Ashland. Many of her classmates have been discussing her nose lately, which is making her very self conscious. She asks why she is the only person with a "squishy" nose while all of her friends (and her parents, I might add) have "pointy" noses. She tells me that she loves her nose, but she's tired of people talking about it and being different.

Today, we had a play date with some friends (both boys are Chinese and cleft-affected.) From there, we all went to McDonald's and met up with two other families and let the kids play at the play area. There were seven Chinese children running around and having a great time.

On the way home, Dayna assured me that she loved getting to play with other kids who also have "squishy" noses today.

I pray that she will continue to embrace every part of who she is, and that she would know that God knit each one of us together perfectly...whether our noses are squishy or pointy.

No comments: